We hope you are keeping well during this challenging period.
As you will be aware this week there have been major Government announcements regarding their Covid 19 ‘Recovery Plan’ which has significant implications on our own plans for resuming sailing at the club.
The RYA believes that the new Government guidelines do apply to ‘all forms of boating’ (but are awaiting further guidance from the Dept for Culture Media and Sport). https://www.rya.org.uk/training-support/Pages/coronavirus_guidance.aspx
The Government have said in sections 4 and 5 of the link below that –
You can exercise outside as often as you wish and from Wednesday 13 May, you can also sit and rest outside – exercise or recreation can be alone, with members of your household, or with one other person from outside your household, while keeping two metres apart at all times.
From Wednesday 13 May, you may drive to outdoor publicly accessible open spaces, irrespective of distance, but should follow social distancing guidance whilst you are there.
To ensure people are social distancing, the government has prohibited by law all public gatherings of more than two people, except for reasons set out in the regulations.
So let us bring you right up to date with our current thinking –
Above all else we would like to assure you that the safety, health and wellbeing of our club members is of paramount importance and this underpins any plans we have going forward.
We have been carefully reviewing the Government regulations and guidelines, closely consulting with the RYA and gaining useful insights from other clubs through forum discussions, to minimise any risks of the virus spreading when we begin sailing again.
As a result, we hope to recommence some form of recreational exercise sailing in the very-near future subject to the following:
· We are forming a Covid 19 task group to ensure the Committee has the best understanding of all regulations and guidelines from the Government and the RYA. The group will meet ‘virtually’ on a regular basis
· We will be performing a formal ‘risk assessment’ in advance of recommencing any sailing and will put in place the resultant safety and social distancing procedures we believe necessary
· We will communicate the plan, policies, and procedures to all members as soon as we can, and give you opportunity to ask any questions and raise concerns
· We will proceed with caution and maintain a close watching brief on the future changes the Government brings in, especially around their 5 tier alert system, and adjust our activities accordingly
· We will monitor the application and impact of our own plan on a regular basis.
We will be in touch with the next update in a few days but in the meantime please ensure you follow the Government ‘stay alert’ advice.
Just a quick reminder – all activities at the club are currently suspended but we do hope to resume recreational exercise sailing, in the very near future. Please do not sail at the club until we have completed the Covid 19 risk assessment and communicated the appropriate new procedures.
Thank you for your patience